Westbrook Soccer Club (WSC) is a non-profit, volunteer organization dedicated to sharing our passion for soccer and growing the sport within our community in Westbrook, Maine. We aim to give young players an opportunity to play soccer and improve the overall skill level of all players.
The Recreation Program is an in-house league for all Westbrook residents. The league will start in the fall of 2021 and we will possibly offer a spring league in 2022.
The Travel Program competes in Soccer Maine’s Fall Classic League against other local towns. If there is enough interest from a team, they can enter into the Pine Tree League in the spring. Soccer Maine is a statewide nonprofit association that serves as the governing body for youth soccer in the State of Maine. More information regarding Soccer Maine can be found on their website, soccermaine.com.
- Be respectful and exhibit good sportsmanship to teammates, coaches, referees, parents and opponents.
- Notify coaches and parents of an injury.
- Develop your skills and have fun.
- Be respectful of all players, coaches, referees, other parents, and opponents.
- Please notify the coach if your child will miss a practice or game to make planning easier. If you need help with rides, please reach out to the coach and other parents.
- Let the coaches give instructions to players during a game. Several instructions from different sources during a game can overwhelm and confuse the players.
- Understand that player development is a priority over winning.
- Follow the coach handbook to ensure the players are learning soccer based on WSC’s philosophies.
- Take the appropriate coaching courses through the U.S. Soccer Learning Center.
- Player development is a priority over winning. As a coach, one of the biggest rewards is to see a player’s fundamental skills grow throughout the season.
- Youth coaches have the opportunity to teach young players valuable life values such as team commitment, sportsmanship, and team spirit.
- Build your practice or game plan before you arrive on the field and set a routine for players if they show up to the field before the coaches.
- All players should be receiving equal playing time.
- If there are multiple coaches on a team, define coach roles at the beginning of the season.